Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Coaching Soccer in the great US of A

So just finished a successful season coaching 8U Girls soccer. Never did it before, so I thought it was time to dive in, given that my little girl was going to play.
Given that I had never played the game competitively, I thought that it might be the kind of challenge I relish. Which was true, because after watching numerous videos on YouTube, and reading on coaching drills, tips (thank you, SoccerXpert.com, and SoccerCoachWeekly.net), I was raring to go before the season started.
So to coach kid's soccer, you will have to undergo a background check, which is one of the first requirements that you agree to on the application form. Then, the certification training takes about a day (at least it did for my 8U coaching certification), at the end of which you undergo a written exam, which you have to pass. At the 8U level, they only have practice for an hour a week, so that wasn't too bad. We scheduled our practices on the same field, so the girls could have a degree of familiarity come game time.
For the first game, we crushed the other team by 6 goals to 1, and it became very evident that our lineup was going to be a formidable opponent to the other teams. Since some of the girls had played soccer before, all that was left to me was to teach them subtle things that they were not developmentally ready for yet, like teaching them the value in positioning during game scenarios, overall gameplay, and transition offense.
I must say, the parents were so happy with the girls' progress over the course of the season, and so was I. They were finally starting to pass to each other, realize the value of playing their respective positions, and gelling together as a team, when the season came to an end.
I cannot wait for next season, and what that may entail.


No comments:

Post a Comment